Vizcaya Museum and Gardens will kick off its 100-year anniversary at its annual gala, which is the official Centennial Gala in 2016. This event will support fundraising for the iconic 1900s home of James Deering and ignite a year of Centennial activities.
- Night lights on parade: Invitees will enjoy the Processional Arts Presentation of Illuminated Lanterns, an immersive performance meandering throughout the main house and gardens at 8 p.m.
- Sweet Sounds: Music by the Frost School of Music, including the Henry Mancini Institute, the Frost Studio Band and the departments of Vocal and Instrumental Performance.
- Additional photo opportunities with Miami leaders and event chairs Barbara Hevia, Cathy L. Jones and Christina Martin. Official Proclamation on display from Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez.
- The Centennial celebration marks a new era for Vizcaya, as it embarks on a master plan to make it more accessible and enjoyable for the entire community. Plans for the Vizcaya Village will provide new ways to experience the celebrated Miami icon, by restoring several historic buildings that were once part of the original property and creating more open space to accommodate additional inventive exhibitions and community outreach programs.
- Proceeds benefit the protection and preservation of Vizcaya Museum and Gardens.
WHEN: Saturday, November 19, 2016
WHERE: Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is a National Historic Landmark that preserves the Miami estate of agricultural industrialist James Deering to engage our community and its visitors in learning through the arts, history and the environment. Built between 1914 and 1922, Vizcaya is one of the most intact remaining examples from this era in United States history, when the nation’s most successful entrepreneurs built lavish estates inspired by the stately homes of Europe.
Vizcaya features a Main House, 10 acres of formal gardens, a rockland hammock (native forest), mangrove shore, the Vizcaya Café and Shop presented by A Joy Wallace Catering, Design and Special Events, and a historic village that will be restored for additional venues for programs and community outreach. Located at 3251 South Miami Avenue, between Brickell Avenue and Coconut Grove, Vizcaya is open daily from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. except Tuesdays, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. For more information, visit www.vizcaya.org, connect on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, or call 305-250-9133.
Best Buddies International, a groundbreaking nonprofit that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD), is pleased to announce its 20th Annual Best Buddies Miami Gala at Ice Palace Studios in Wynwood on Friday, November 18.
The 20th Annual Best Buddies Miami Gala is a spectacular event with hundreds of prominent locals and international guests gathering to celebrate Best Buddies’ mission. This year’s Best Buddies Miami Gala theme is Rock Legends! Time and time again, rock legends have proven themselves as agents of social change, much like Best Buddies.
As a result of phenomenal support from generous sponsors and donors, Best Buddies is able to extend its reach globally, and will continue to develop its presence through our eight formal programs— Best Buddies Ambassadors, Citizens, Colleges, e-Buddies®, High Schools, Jobs, Middle Schools and Promoters—across the United States and in over 50 countries. This support will allow Best Buddies to impact the lives of individuals as diverse as the many different genres of music. During the Gala, guests will enjoy a gourmet dinner, partake in a top-notch auction and witness dazzling entertainment. Proceeds from the Gala will enable Best Buddies to continue making a meaningful impact in the lives of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities on a global scale.